A dramatic rent increase is forcing Washington Boulevard sushi restaurant Kifune to shut its doors for good, manager Keiji Tomita said. The special occasion destination known for its excellent cuisine, exuberant sushi chef and friendly owner Jay has been serving Marina del Rey locals for 34 years. Saturday (Nov. 23) was the restaurant’s last night. “We’re hoping to see our long time customers one more time,” Tomita said.
*PLAYA – IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD:
*PLAYA-DID YOU KNOW?
• Operation Jack Marathon
o Thursday, December 26, 2019, 7:30 AM
o Dockweiler Beach
o 12000 Vista Del Mar, Playa Del Rey, 90293
• Refuel and Refill
o Saturday, December 28, 9 -11 AM
o Alana’s Coffee
o 12511 Venice Blvd. Los Angeles 90066
*PLAYA POP-UP: BIG BRANDS AND ART MEET AT THE PLAYA VISTA POP-UP
One highlight is artist and L.A. native Man One’s multimedia homage to music festivals featuring hometown hero Nipsey Hussle alongside Rihanna representing for Puma, Kanye and his Air Yeezys and Run DMC and Beyonce rocking their Adidas. Other cameos in his work include illustrations of Snoop Dogg, Missy Elliott and Ariana Grande. Besides being one of Sneakertopia’s featured artists, Man One is an internationally renowned graffiti artist. He’s been on the scene since 1987 when demand for his work was non-existent. “I had to constantly convince people that I was an artist or a muralist, not just a vandal, which was how most of us were seen,” he says. Now with major brands valuing artists and their work, he affirms that it’s possible to be creative and make a living.
*PLAYA VISTA PEOPLE–Only Originals Allowed!:
Cafe Del Rey, General Manager
2. Where do you work, and where did you go for your job training? – I am currently the General manager of Cafe del Rey, which resides in Marina del Rey. It was existed as Cafe del Rey for the Last 27 years.
3. How did you end up in Playa Vista? – I actually live in Marvista about 4 miles north but I visit the restaurants, coffee shops, farmers market and Cinema in Playa Vista.
4. Where are your favorite places to go on weekends? – When time allows my favorite place to go is the golf course.
5. Do you visit Playa Vista often? – Perhaps once a week or a couple of times a month, one my friends also works in Playa Vista
6. Any local traffic shortcuts that you would choose to share? – Ha!, I drive at odd hours so the main highway is normally fine. LA traffic doesnae bother me!!
7. Do you have family in Playa Vista? – I do not.
8. Are there any community events you go to in Playa Vista? – Not as of yet, but receiving Playa Vista People Online i’m sure I will get turned on to some events going on and tear myself away from the restaurant.
9. Do you like to go to the beach and if so which would be your personal favorite? – Hophoddy Burger bar has some wonderful burgers, I reccomend the soul burger. I am a Coffee Bean and Tea leaf guy at heart but the Blue bottle coffee shop deserves a shout out too.
10. What motivates you most to keep succeeding in your life? – Beautiful Sunshine, Folks out enjoying the farmers market and taking their kids to soccer, as I did for many years.
PLAYA – SPOTTED:
PLAYA – RESTAURANTS:
Xperience Restaurant Group (“XRG” or the “Company”), one of the largest operators of full-service Mexican restaurants based in California and an affiliate of Z Capital Group (“Z Capital”), announced the acquisition of casual and upscale-casual brands SOL Mexican Cocina and solita Tacos & Margaritas. SOL Mexican Cocina was founded 10 years ago in Southern California and has grown to four locations in upscale areas of Newport Beach, Scottsdale, Playa Vista, and Denver. SOL’s kitchens feature a unique spin on fresh, healthy, coastal Mexican food, lovingly made from scratch. Its sister brand, solita Tacos & Margaritas, was founded in 2014 as a slightly more casual take on SOL. Solita has two Southern California locations in Huntington Beach and Valencia and focuses on great Mexican food, dynamite margaritas, and embodying Southern California’s laid-back lifestyle. With this transaction, XRG’s portfolio, which consists of leading Mexican restaurant brands such as El Torito and Chevys Fresh Mex, has expanded the Company’s total unit count to 62 corporate-managed units.
2. ***Join us at The Resort for “Coach Serja’s Jingle Jangle Workout” on Thursday, December 26th from 9am-9:50am. It’ll be at the 2nd Floor Outdoor Area. Coach Serja will be leading an amazing total body workout with some jingling, jangling and of course some sweating. Visit the Resort website via Playa Link: https://playalink.
3. ***Package thieves – It’s the holidays. Why are you all shocked packages on your doorstep are being stolen Stop reporting your packages being stolen? You should be smarter this time of year. If you have a delivery arriving make sure you are home, send it to your office, a ups, FedEx or USPS facility, or send it to an amazon facility or locker. —— Ant Nabors
4. ***Wanted: New, creative, photographer to test for P.R. firm clients and event. Send some photo samples and complete contact details. Must be available to Westside of L.A. – E-mail: Aurora411@TimeWire.net
5. ***Quite frankly, I’ve had enough of the whole Ed Orgeron love fest from my fellow so-called USC football fans. Indeed, he went 6-2 in his short stint as interim head coach. What all these people seem to have forgotten is those two loses were to Notre Dame and a blowout loss at home against UCLA. There wasn’t one person calling for his hiring after losing 35-14 to the Bruins. His records over his first three years at LSU weren’t exactly Hall of Fame making either. He finally catches lightning in a bottle with a transfer QB and a down year for Alabama and suddenly he’s a coaching legend? Puh-leese! Enough already! —– Geno Apicella, Marina del Rey
6. ***Do you have a message for your neighbors in Playa Vista? Post on the Playa Vista People
7. ****The Resort at Playa Vista – Fitness Center – 1st Annual Post Thanksgiving Workout + Pie Eating Contest. Coach Rob and Serj put them through some anaerobic training and a strength circuit afterwards. The main event (Pie Eating Contest) was won by Trevor Clark! Hope to see you there Thanksgiving 2020.
Playa Vista People Edited By: Aurora DeRose
Playa Vista People Disclaimer: 1.) Playa Vista People accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Playa Vista People is not associated with any commercial or political organization and is transmitted via the web for the sole benefit of its subscribers. 2.) Unfortunately, computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.